Monday, September 26, 2022

My Story #96 -- Beginning A New Life

 

My Story #96

Beginning A New Life

Pastor Ronnie Wolfe

I was 17 years old, and I had just graduated from high school. I had already been approached about attending a business school in Lexington, Kentucky, but my mind was not on going to school but having a little vacation from school. I had gone to my uncle and aunt’s house to spend some time, when my mother called me and told me that, if I were going to go to school in Lexington, I had to be in Lexington the next day. So, I told her I would go (nervously). My parents came to get me, and the next day we traveled to Lexington to get acquainted with my school, my place to stay, and a place to eat meals.

When we got to Lexington, I might as well had been in New York City. Lexington was a giant city to this country boy. I was introduced to the place and people necessary, and then my parents drove off to go home and left me standing on the sidewalk in front of the house where I was to sleep. They said they could not see me for two weeks.

Can you imagine a boy of 17 being left in a big city alone, knowing almost no one, and already getting homesick for the country? Well, that’s what they did to me. I noticed a young boy about 12 years old across the street working on my bicycle. I walked across the street and introduced myself. His name was Jimmy. I asked him if he would let me help him fix his bike, and he said he would appreciate it. I had worked on bikes a few times, so I was a pretty good help. I got to know the family through Jimmy, and we became friends. This started the rest of my life after high school.

-->To be continued<--

 

No comments: