Monday, April 5, 2021

My Story #29:

 Ronnie W. Wolfe


I had Polio when I was two years old, and at the age of 8, I had to have surgery on my right leg and my back (experimental).

After the surgery I was put into a cast that extended from the toes on my right foot all the way up to my underarms. It was one piece, and I had to wear it most of the summer.

I could not sit but had to lie down all the time. My mother would lay down a blanket in the front yard of our house, and I would be set on that blanket and occupied myself with different things to do. I had two beagle dogs who kept me company. Their names were Poncho and Cisco. Sometimes I would have company like the little girl in the picture below. I remember the itch I got under the cast, and my mother would hand me a fly swatter to allow me to put the handle under the cast to scratch my itch--it felt good!

The surgery was experimental: the doctors tried to implant sheep muscle into my leg to see if it would adapt to my body and give me muscle in my leg--it did not work. Later I had more surgeries, but I will not go into detail, and I will not show my scars.

God has been so good to me throughout these things in my life; and you folks have been great friends of mind--I have so many friends! THANK YOU for being my friend.
 

 

No comments: