Monday, October 10, 2022

My Story #98 -- School In Lexington

 

My Story #98

School In Lexington
Pastor Ronnie Wolfe

Once I was settled in Lexington, Monday came. It was the first day of school at Fugazzi Business College. I slept in a room upstairs at the end of Forest Avenue in Lexington; I ate meals in another house on the same street just a few houses away from where I slept.  Then, I had to walk approximately ½ mile to the school where I was to take a course to train to be an Executive Assistant, which, I understand, is simply an exalted secretary, one who works for the president or vice-president of a company. Thankfully, I was pretty much prepared in high school to enter a course like this. I had great teachers in high school. I attended Pendleton County High School in Falmouth, Kentucky.

School days were pretty much normal from one visit to another. Once in the wintertime, as I arrived home from school one day, the neighbor next to the house where I slept stopped and asked me if I would be offended if she gave me a winter coat that belonged to her son, who was killed in an auto accident. I hardly knew how to answer, but I accepted. The coat was long and heavy, and it was fire-engine red.

The next morning the temperature was -14 degrees. I nearly froze to death. The coat kept me warm except for my feet. When I arrived at school, my feet were numb; and they did not feel normal for nearly four hours. I had a few days like that but not quite as severe as this one. I will remember that day for a long, long time.

I took classes such as these: Shorthand, Typing, Office Machines, Dictation-Transcription, Business English, Accounting, etc. I enjoyed the classes, because I seemed to be skilled in those classes that required skill of the hands. I remember that in one class I took Shorthand dictation at 240 words per minute, which is impressive. I don’t know that I have done that since. Shorthand is hardly used anymore, but I still use it from time to time. I attended Fugazzi for about one year and three months, the longest course that the school offered. Courses were accelerated in order to give the equivalent to an Associate Degree in another college.

While attending, I continued to attend Ashland Avenue Baptist Church where one Sunday I heard some wonderful news, which I will discuss in my next installment.

-->To be continued<--

No comments: