Monday, October 24, 2022

My Story #100 -- A Game And A Bible Lesson

 

My Story #100

A Game And A Bible Lesson

Pastor Ronnie Wolfe

While attending school at Fugazzi Business College, I kept meeting with my young friends which I met along the way.

These young people would meet in the summertime at a place called Bell Court. They would meet there in the late afternoon after having come to my house and demanding that I go with them. When it got dark, they would play Flashlight Tag, which was new to me. Of course, I could not play, but they just wanted me to be there. We would laugh and tell jokes and talk about anything that entered into our minds. There was no cursing or bad language, perhaps because I was there.

One evening, as we were all there and they were playing Flashlight Tag, a policeman drove up to the big house where we were sitting on the front steps. He said that one of the neighbor ladies had called the police because we were so loud. I apologized, but we both knew that you cannot have a bunch of young people together in that kind of situation without having some noise. The policeman understood and said, "Just try, if you can, to be a little quieter. We get calls from this lady many times for this or that." I am sure glad we did not have to go to jail.

After a while, all of this hanging around the kids and being with them to play games, etc., was ended; and I moved from Forest Avenue into a house with an old preacher who was renting out rooms. I did not know the old man, but I liked him once I had met him and talked with him. Some of my readers may remember him or at least his name. His name was C. D. Stevens, and he was quite the Bible scholar.

One night, coming in from a long trip with the quartet about 2:00 AM or so, I entered the house, and Bro. Stevens was sitting, as usual, in his recliner chair, the chair in which he sat most of the day and slept at night. He opened his eyes and said to me, "Bro. Wolfe, sit down on the step there, and I will tell you what I am going to preach on this Wednesday night at First Baptist Church of Lexington. 

Bro. Stevens slowly lifted up his Bible and turned to the 85th Psalm and read verse:10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. He preached to me (just me) a message that I will never forget. When he was finished expressing the truths of this verse in detail, with tears running down my face, I fell in love with Jesus more than ever before. 

How could mercy and truth meet together? How could righteousness and peace kiss each other? This could happen only in Jesus Christ through his work on the cross interceding for me to his Father in heaven, saving my soul for his glory only. 

I went to my room and finally fell asleep while thinking on the things I had heard. Never will I ever be thankful enough for what Jesus did for me on the cross. Thank you, God, for this old man who touched my heart through your word and divine truth!

-->To be continued<--

No comments: