Tuesday, November 1, 2022

My Story #101 -- Playing Piano In Lexington

 

My Story #101

Playing Piano In Lexington

Pastor Ronnie Wolfe

The Ashland Avenue Baptist Church building doors were never locked. Anyone could go in and out at will. Several days in the week I would walk to the church building and go inside. I would practice piano on the piano in the main auditorium. This was enjoyable and, I thought, a great privilege.

 One time while practicing in “Judge Adam’s Room” Bro. Bob Jones entered the room and heard me playing. He asked me if I would play for a new group he was getting together, and I told him that I did not play that kind of music. He asked if I would at least practice with them; and I said I would. We practiced every week for about an hour, and eventually we felt we were practiced enough to begin singing in church. This is the beginning of my playing for the Bluegrass Boys. At that time the group was called the Lexington Baptist College Trio, because I did not sing with them. We were called that name, because we eventually began to travel to promote Lexington Baptist College.

 I remember that room where I practiced and that old, upright white piano. Once, I believe in 1967, a photographer came and took our picture standing around that piano. That memory is still fresh in my mind, and I will always be grateful and thankful for the Lord’s leadership in my life, giving me the opportunity to represent the school and serve the Lord traveling with this singing group.

-->To be continued<--

No comments: