Monday, August 2, 2021

My Story #44

Ronnie W. Wolfe

"Leading The Blind"

Several of you know Bro. Gene Cox. He was one of my best friends in school when we were attending Lexington Baptist College. Last week I told the church here about the time that I allowed Gene to drive my car. You must keep in mind, now, that Gene Cox is blind.

I told Gene one day that I was going to let him do something that he has never done and may never do again. He, of course, was curious what that would be. I told him I was going to let him drive my car. It was hard for even him to believe.

I told him to get into the driver's seat. He did. I showed him by feel where the gas peddle and brake peddle were. I directed him to the ignition and gave him the car key. I told him what to do to start the car. He did not do bad. The car was running now.

Then I asked him to take hold of the steering wheel and turn it as far to the left as he could and hold it there. He did. I told him, then, to hold the brake and put the car in gear. I think I helped him a little on this.

Then I told him to take his foot off from the brake and step on the gas peddle and push very easily. He did very well at that. The car started going forward, and we went around and around and around in circles as he held the steering wheel all the way to the left.

He was very excited, and I was excited, too, to allow a blind man to drive. I don't know for sure, but I believe, no doubt, that he has not done that since.

By the way, Gene was (and maybe still is) in the hospital. I pray he is home by now.

God bless you, Gene. I miss those days of wonder.

Oh yes, we both made it out alive!
 

No comments: