Monday, April 25, 2022

My Story #76 -- "Playing Jacks"

 

My Story #76

PLAYING JACKS

My wife and I met in Lexington, Kentucky, when I was in school at Lexington Baptist College, a unique and high-quality school that is no longer in existence. I knew Shirley Maddox for about eight (8) years before I started dating her seriously.

Shirley and her family are from Lawrenceburg, Kentucky; and, as the occasion usually is, we went to visit her family in order for me to meet her mother, her five sisters, and her one brother. It was an enjoyable occasion, as we all had similar religious beliefs, and the family were a loving family. Actually, the mother and siblings treated Shirley almost as one would a queen, but that is beside the point.

While visiting once, I remember watching some of the folks there as they played JACKS on the floor. Many of our young people today have never played this game, but it is challenging and a lot of fun.

I decided to challenge Shirley to a game of JACKS, because I had played the game as a child. We both sat on the floor, but Shirley did not say a word. I started picking up JACKS, but I missed in, I think, the sixth round. Then it was Shirley's turn. I feel ashamed to say anything about my ability to play this game, because Shirley went to 10 and all the way back to one and stopped and won the game hands down. I asked her where she learned to play like that. She said she had been playing them a long since she was very young.

I never played JACKS with Shirley again. What kind of a bad person am I?!
 

No comments: