Tuesday, March 1, 2022

My Story #70 - Called To Preach

 

My Story #70

CALLED TO PREACH

I was saved at the age of 13, and from that time (and even before that) I had a keen interest in the Bible; I really enjoyed hearing and listening to sermons. I wanted to know what the preachers were saying, why they were saying it, and how it was to affect my life. The interest in the Bible grew more intense as I grew older; then at age 17 I graduated from high school.

Through several events, I moved to Lexington, Kentucky, to attend business college. I began to attend Ashland Avenue Baptist Church purposely, because all the years of my growing up, our family had been listening to their pastor, Bro. Clarence Walker, every week on the radio.

Bro. Walker talked about a preachers' school, and I was quickly interested in the school. I loved hearing Bro. Walker, Carl Sadler, and Ed Overbey (assistant pastors) as they taught the word of God. I took my Bible and notebook to church every service, and I took many notes, wanting to know and understand the Bible.

I turned 18 years old in September, and by that time I had acquired a serious interest in the Bible and in preaching. One evening, as I sat on my bed in my rented room, I began to have a rich feeling about preaching. In fact, the feeling was so strong that I actually got up from my bed, pulled a night stand away from the wall, stood behind it and began to "preach" to my invisible audience.

That weekend at my small country church back home, where I was still a member, I walked before the church and announced that the Lord had called me to preach. That was a scary and yet a wonderful experience. My pastor said at that time, "Well, if you are called to preach, then you will preach here next Sunday night." I nearly jumped out of my skin! But I prepared and prayed, and the next Sunday night I preached on something (I do not remember). That was my first sermon, and I made it through without dying.

Many of you know the rest of the story, how I began classes at Lexington Baptist College and soon began to travel with the Lexington Baptist College Trio. I had many opportunities to preach as we traveled, and God has blessed in these nearly 60 years of preaching.

I will always thank God for the privilege and high responsibility to preach his perfect word, and I pray that I have been a blessing to many people throughout these years. To God be the glory!
 

No comments: