Tuesday, March 22, 2022

My Story #72 -- Praying Simple

My Story #72

PRAYING  SIMPLE

I was attending Ashland Avenue Baptist Church in the 1960's. They had a Sunday morning attendance over 900 people; so, it surprised me that they did not have anything for the young people during the week.

The Southern Baptist Convention had a program called Young Ambassadors for boys, which usually met on Sunday night or on a week night. I decided to meet with some of the young boys on Thursday nights in order to teach them the Bible and to try to be a witness to them. There were about 12-14 boys in that group.

Once an invited boy came, and he was Roman Catholic. He kept talking about Mary and how she helps us when we pray, so I began to speak to the boys about prayer. After a while the boy made a profession of faith in the Lord.

Then one night I asked him to pray for us. He immediately bowed his head and began to talk. But he did not talk in prayer the way in which we were all accustomed. He just began to talk to God as though God were right there in the room. I am not sure of all that he said, but I do remember that, when he was finished praying, he just said, "That is all." His prayer was finished.

At first, I wanted to teach the boy more about how to pray, but then, after thinking about it for a while, my thoughts were prompted to a gracious surrender to his personal way of talking to God and the end of his prayer.

Perhaps we should all learn to pray as this boy did. He did not teach me much theology, but I think he had an impression on the way I pray. God is our friend; let's talk to him as a friend! What say?
 

 

No comments: