Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Wearing The Pants

 

My Story #71

WEARING THE PANTS

I went to Lexington, Kentucky, to go to business college when I was only 17 years. There were no computers (at least not in homes and in phones), so my mother wrote me letters--phone calls were long-distance and cost a price to use.

One time my mother wrote me a letter, and in that letter she said, "I'm glad you are a boy, not a girl." That seemed very strange to me for a mother to say that to her son, so I read on. She explained, "If you had been a girl, you would wear a dress and would not be able to hide your long-leg braces as you can with wearing the pants. Also, I could not be a preacher (which she did not mention).

Back in that day (1960's) most all girls wore dresses, not pants or slacks. That's why she said what she did. Then, I began to be thankful, also, that I was a boy and not a girl. I still am happy to be a boy; that's what God made me. So, I guess you could say that "I wear the pants": you can finish that statement if you like.
 

No comments: