Monday, January 31, 2022

My Story #67 - May I Take YOur Order?

 

My Story #67

May I Take Your Order?

The Bluegrass Boys Quartet sometime in the 1960's were traveling somewhere down in Tennessee, I think, and we stopped to eat breakfast. It must have been one of those times that we traveled all night (which we did pretty often).

Inside the quaint little restaurant we noticed a large, black bird in a cage. Bro. Bob Carpenter was especially interested in this bird, so he went to the cage and noticed a sign on the front of the cage which read "My Name Is Corky." So, Bob read the sign aloud "My name is Corky." Then the bird answered back "What's your name?" The bird spoke again and said "My name's Corkey. What's your name?"

This amazed all of us, and we all began to take our turn to speak to the bird in fun. Then the bird would say "Wise Guy!" We played around with the bird until the repeating of the same words over and over again was becoming monotonous. We wish Bob had never mentioned his name.

Oh, but the most interesting thing (I guess) of the stopover is a delight to Bro. Bob Jones. He still teases me about it. We were all sitting at the table and were ordering our food. The waitress came to the table and looked at me and said "May I take your order?" I said hurriedly (without even thinking first), "I want two legs over white." At least that is what Bob Jones said that I said, and maybe I did. I was so frustrated that in quick answer I said (and foolishly), "Well, I guess you know what my mind is." Then I think I stopped talking for the rest of the day. I really needed sleep! Bob Jones will never let me live this down.

Just another day in the adventures of the Bluegrass Boys.
 

No comments: