Monday, November 30, 2020

My LBC Story #1

 

My LBC Story #1:

I was only 17 years old when I left home after graduating from high school. My parents dropped me off at my dwelling in Lexington, Kentucky, so I could go to school at Fugazzi Business College.

I first visited Ashland Avenue Baptist Church in Lexington in June of 1962. The following week two men came to visit me at my residence. They were Bro. Ed Overbey and Bro. Carl Sadler. Of course, I went back to Ashland Avenue at the next scheduled meeting (Wednesday). These two men visited me again in the following days. They were each an assistant pastor at Ashland Avenue Baptist Church.

I had listened to Bro. Clarence Walker on the church's radio program for years, so I was already familiar with his voice and his teaching; but at last I was able, not only to meet him, but also to begin to love him and work with him very closely.

Bro. Walker and the church were a great help to me, allowing me to teach and to work in other areas at the church. Soon after beginning to attend the church, I heard Bro. Walker talk about the Preachers' School. I had long been sensitive to God about preaching the word of God, and I had a longing to do so from an early age. I believe that longing and desire are an evidence of the calling of God.

So, I decided that I should begin to attend Lexington Baptist College, and I registered for their Monday-night class--Bible Survey. My teacher was Bro. James Hamilton.

Bible Survey was not an easy course, because much memorizing was required. I learned to repeat all of the books of the Bible in order (which I learned mostly as a youngster), but then I had to memorize many other things: kings of Israel and Judah, the Ten Commandments, the Twelve Tribes, names of the Apostles of Jesus, and on and on. This is instruction that I have not forgotten. God is good.

Later I registered for day classes and attended classes from 7:00 AM till 1:00 PM. Eventually I was able to be a teacher and bookkeeper at Lexington Baptist College. God was preparing me for things to follow, and I am so thankful for the training from a wonderful school with so many wonderful teachers and a wonderful pastor who still dwells in my heart's memory, Bro. Clarence Walker.

No comments: