Monday, November 30, 2020

My LBC Story #5

 

My LBC Story #5:

While I was studying at Lexington Baptist College, I was single. I remained single for a few years.

I worked at First Security National Bank while living in Lexington. I took classes at LBC and went to all of their conferences and at many revival meetings.

During this time, I noticed a young lady (actually more than one) who seemed to be interested in me, though I was not interested in her or any other woman at that time. I spent most of my leisure hours with young people, taking them places and just having a nice time together, enjoying Fort Harrod, the zoo, Natural Bridge, and other like things.

About eight years went by, and I began to think that I needed to settle down with a wife; so, as I and a young man in my car were driving in Lexington, I stopped beside a little park called Belle Court. He said, "Why are you stopping?" I said, "Do you see that house over there? I was pointing across the park to a house beyond the street on the other side of the park. I said, "Next Saturday I am going to go over there, knock on the door, and ask that girl to go out with me, and I am going to marry her. The boy said, "You're crazy! You will never do that!" I said, "Just wait and see."

After calling this young lady and making arrangements, I went to that house on Saturday and took her out to eat, I think. We attended several revival meetings and other religious affairs for a few months. Then I asked her this question: "When do you want to get married?" She said, "What? I don't know? I guess whenever you want to." I said, "How about my birthday?" She returned, "This year?" I said, "Yes, of course."

So, we decided we needed to make arrangements for the next six months, because that's how long it would be before the wedding took place. Actually, we did not begin to plan for it until about one month before the wedding.

I had known her for over eight years, and she had, of course, known me, too. We talked about my job as a pastor and/or teacher and about a family and being parents, etc. We really did not need to "get to know" each other. We knew each other well.

The boy who was in the car with me became our "best man" at the wedding. There were many people there. Bob Jones sang at the wedding, and another young boy played organ for Bob. The ladies of Ashland Avenue Baptist Church helped with the wedding, and some of my family baked sheet cakes to help with the food. We had only cake and punch; we did not have a full meal.

After the wedding, having pictures taken with my own wedding camera by my oldest brother, Vernon, we ate cake, opened a few gifts, and boarded my 1968 Chevy Impala Super Sport and headed out in a car on which someone had written "Master" on the passenger-side door and "Slave" on the drive-side door.

What a day! I will tell a little more about this later--this is getting too long.

No comments: