Monday, November 30, 2020

My LBC Story #10

 

My LBC Story #10:

Were we bad boys?

When we boys in the quartet traveled around the eastern United States singing and preaching, we would get into some very interesting places. As we traveled, we tried to get to the churches early. Sometimes we would get there as much as 30 - 45 minutes early.

When we arrived early, many times the church door would be locked. We were always anxious to get our equipment out of the car and set up in the church building; so Demas Brubacher became very adept at finding a way to open the door. Then, we would hurry in and set up our equipment to the surprise of the first person who arrived after us. Usually it was the pastor, but sometimes it would be another member.

Then, many times, after we entered the building, I would go to the piano and give it a try to see if the sustain pedal were working well enough for me to use it with my weak foot. If not, I would open the piano on the bottom front and adjust the sustain peddle to meet my need for sensitivity so that I could play without having complete staccato. Sometimes people were very shocked at this, thinking that I was destroying the piano.

Those were busy, tiring, but fun days; and God blessed in a mighty way in those meetings. Many of you remember those days.


No comments: