Monday, November 30, 2020

My LBC Story #4

 

My LBC Story #4:

My first experience in Lexington, Kentucky, was my attendance at Fugazzi Business College located on High Street.

I was 17 years old when I graduated from Pendleton County High School near Falmouth, Kentucky. I was raised on a farm, so it was a little scary to move to a big city like Lexington. The worst part of going there was that my parents drove me there, showed me the places I needed to know about, then left me standing on the street corner not expecting to see them for two whole weeks. These first two weeks were filled with homesickness; but I soon was acclimated to my new surroundings and began to enjoy to be, not only in this large city, but also to be independent. That was a thrill to me.

I had to walk several blocks (about 8 blocks, I think) to go to school. That was not so bad for the rest of the summer and in the fall, but winter was not so gracious to me. I did not have a heavy winter coat, and a neighbor saw me leaving early in the morning to walk to school. The neighbor's son had just died, so the lady asked me if I would care if she gave me his coat. I remember it was a heavy coat with a hood, and it was a deep red color. I was thankful and thanked her for it. It certainly did help me through the winter.

I attended Fugazzi and made good grades. I graduated with a diploma entitled "Executive Assistant." This course was a training for what they used to call "Male Secretary." I was hoping to go to work for the railroad or maybe the FBI. After graduation, I was able to get a job with the First National Bank and Trust Company in Lexington. I worked there 8 1/2 years intermittently. I also worked part time for Kelly Services while I was teaching at Lexington Baptist College. Both Kelly and LBC were part-time jobs. I taught at LBC for about three or four years (I cannot remember for sure).

At LBC I received the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1968. Later I continued my work and received the Bachelor of Theology in 1985. I received a Master of Christian Education at Kentucky Mountains Baptist College and later a Doctor of Christian Education from Andersonville Baptist College and Seminary in 2009.

No comments: