Monday, November 30, 2020

My LBC Story #9

 

My LBC Story #9:

Here is a story everyone likes to hear.

When traveling with the Bluegrass Boys Quartet while at LBC, we went on some very long trips over the weekend to sing and preach and were back in Lexington in time to go to class at 7:00 AM Monday. They were very tiring trips, but we loved what we did.

Once, after getting off work and stopping by to get my laundry, I came home to wait for Bro. Jones to come by and pick me up to go on a trip. We all rode in the same car.

But I did not have anything to eat from lunchtime, so I stopped and got a 1/2-pint of ice cream to eat while waiting for Bro. Jones to pick me up. As I was about halfway up the stairs to my room, Bro. Jones honked his horn--he was always early! I was trying to carry my suit and shaving kit and had no room in my hands for the ice cream, so I put the ice cream in the shaving kit to help me carry it upstairs. When Bob Jones honked his horn, I forgot all about the ice cream, turned around, and went to the car to go, I think, somewhere in West Virginia.

We had traveled for an hour or so, and Demas Brubacher asked Bob Carpenter to reach behind the back seat (in the Volks Wagon) and get his Bible. When Bob Carpenter reached back to get the Bible, he said, "OOOH!" Well, you guessed it: the ice cream had melted and was all over the Bibles and other items in the back.

Boy, you will never understand how I felt when I remembered the ice cream in the shaving kit. All the way to the end of our trip, Bob Jones kept saying "Ice cream in a shaving kit?" "Ice cream in a shaving kit!" This was very humiliating. No one will ever forget it.

No comments: