Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What's New Today?

By Ronnie W. Wolfe

When I awoke this morning, I went into the bathroom as usual and looked into the mirror. I was wondering what was different today than yesterday. As I looked and pondered, I realized that it is not what is new that is important but what is STILL.

I noticed that I am still alive. That is a miracle from God, since the Scripture says in Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. This is a fascinating fact. It is comforting to know that I am still alive.

I also noticed that I can still see. I have friends who are blind; some were born blind, and some were brought to blindness later in life. Now I see myself in the mirror and realize that God has sustained my sight throughout the night.

I am not much for singing, but I sang a note or two and realized that I can still make sounds with my mouth. What a wonderful realization! Living in muteness must be a stressful existence. God has been good to me to allow me to still be able to speak.

Then I noticed the dog scratching on my bedroom door, anxious for me to come out. That made me realize that I can still hear. Isn't that a wonder that God would retain my hearing through the night and throughout the years that I have been alive?

Although I have severe arthritis in my arms and shoulders, I realized that I am still able to move my arms and can get around well enough to visit homes and hospitals and attend church regularly. I can preach without much effort physically.  This is such a wonder!

In HIM we live and move and have our being!  Those are profound words from the Scriptures. I can do no less than bow my head and thank God for my existence and my health from day to day; and if it all ended tomorrow and the rest of my life were to be spent in a wheelchair or in a nursing home, I would be supremely blessed even above measure!

The normalcy, then, of life is not so normal after all; it is a wonder of God! HIS name is Wonderful!

No comments: