Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Word And Life

Psalm 119:25
Dr. Ronnie W. Wolfe

My soul, that which is really me, that which moves me, gives me a moral conduct, arranges my life for me, has hold of my every thought and intent of heart, cleaves to this dust, this flesh, this carnal, fleshly person, so tightly that one is never without the other [the physical and the spiritual] and watches over my every move and spawns my purpose and action.


If this soul, the real me, is dead, then what kind of man will I be? I will exist according to my own nature--depraved in sin and weak to the point of death spiritually.


But the psalmist cries to God to quicken him, to make him alive, to make him like God in the sense that all real life comes from God. John said about Jesus, In him was life, and the life was the light of men." We do not desire to live wholly in the flesh, but the soul that cleaves to this dust must be made alive so that this dust can serve the true and living God; otherwise, we shall live in vain and be foolish as those who believe there is no God.


This quickening, or making alive, must come from the word of God, for Romans 10:17 says, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.  Also we read in Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.

Both the dust and the soul are dead to God, but the soul can be made alive by hearing and trusting in God's written word and Jesus Christ, the living word. Acts 16:31 tells us in brief, . . . Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The object of this faith is Jesus Christ, the work of this faith is Jesus' work of redemption through his perfect life and shed blood.

No comments: