Monday, April 19, 2021

My Story #31

 

My Story #31:

My Experience With Armstrongism
Pastor Ronnie Wolfe

As a young teenager, I had a strong desire to know God's word; so I read my Bible often. Along with reading the Bible, I also listened to radio preachers. One of them was Herbert W. Armstrong, whom I loved to hear on a daily basis. He was a good speaker and seemed to be logical and understandable when he spoke, using Bible verses to support his biblical beliefs. My mother also listened to him often.

One evening while listening to Armstrong, I heard him say, as he did often, that there is no reference in "your Bible" about eternal punishment. I wrote that down in my notes. He referenced this passage and emphasized the last part.

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Being convinced that he knew of which he spoke, I marked that verse in my Bible and made cross references to other passage that he and others used to prove that there is no eternal punishment taught in the Bible.

BUT, I continued to read my Bible. One day I came upon a verse on my own. You may be familiar with the verse, as I was not at that young age; so you can imagine my surprise when I read it. Here it is:

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

I quickly went into the kitchen where my mother was and told her that I was not going to listen to that man on the radio any more. When she asked me why, I said, "Because he is a liar." She scolded me a little for saying that; but, when I showed her what I had found, she agreed with me.

I did not listen to Herbert W. Armstrong for several years until one day Bro. Milburn Cockrell asked me to write some articles on the cults. I agreed; and, as a help, I signed up for Armstrong's 13-lesson Bible study. It was very revealing.

There is more to the story, but I must not write a book. Suffice it for me to say two things:

  1. There are false prophets in the world (Matt. 24:11)
  2. Listen to whom you may, but ALWAYS read your Bible.

No comments: