Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Psalm 119:170

Dr. Ronnie Wolfe

My Supplication
This is an interesting word, supplication. The word means to ask or to pray for in deep humility and in earnest, a sincere prayer, truly brought about by experience of great trial.  David had had many trials, and he is here asking God for deliverance.

God has many ways of deliverance. He can deliver us from trails in removing the trials from us, giving much comfort and peace; or he can give us strength to endure the trials with that same comfort and strength. I believe David had experienced both; therefore, he is ready to quickly, and without reservation, plead again and again for that same deliverance. Read of these in the books of 2 Samuel and also in the Psalms.

Psalm 18:17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.

Deliver me according to thy word
David does not desire that God deliver him from his trails in just any way but that they be delivered accord to God's word, that is, God's divine judgment and accord to His plan. That is because  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path, Psalm 119:105. 

But this is probably not a request for a deliverance from physical suffering or great human trials but a deliverance from the stress of sin in which Satan can have a victory and cause more discouragement and heartache. God had given David a promise as recorded in Psalm 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

God gives us the same promise, that those who come to him by faith, knowing who He is and that He is a rewarded of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6), that he will deliver from all sins -- Heb. 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

To the believer the promise is that, if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse -- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

No comments: