Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I Almost Flew The Coop

Dr. Ronnie W. Wolfe

At one time in my young life we had a chicken house. Along the side of it we had coops. They were attached to the chicken house, and there were (I can't remember) about 10-12 coops alongside the chicken house.

One day I decided that it might be a good idea to climb to the top of the coops. I began climbing, which was customary to a young "monkey" as I was. When I arrived at the top of them, I found it entertaining that I could see down on so many things from a different view from what I had ever seen before.

Then I became afraid. I was afraid that I might fall if I tried to get down. I called as loud as I could to my mother, who was in the house. She came outside, and I said, "How do I get down from here?" Now, my mother was always wise "to the hilt," and I thought she could give me an easy answer to my dilemma; but she said, "Get down the same way you got up, only backward." Then she went back into the house. To this day, I don't remember climbing down, but I tried to do what she said, and I am alive today.

Many times in life we get ourselves into messes that we feel that are impossible to escape, but there is always a way to escape, especially with our faith in God and in Christ.

Many people get out of church and find it difficult to get back in. Many get into bad habits and do not know how to get out of them. Take my mother's advice. Go out the same way you came in, only backward. This is very good advice, even though it may seem to be simplistic and vague.

Sometimes we must go back to our younger years, back to our old selves, back to our old values, back to our simple thinking, back to where we met Jesus and trusted him with our whole hearts. It may be a little scary at first, but there is a way back.

For those who have never known Jesus Christ in pardon of sins and through a new birth, you must look forward to trusting Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection to bring new life. Then you can begin to live anew and have assurance as you have never had it before.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.


No comments: