Monday, July 5, 2021

I Saw A Flag; I Dropped A Tear


Ronnie W. Wolfe – July 4, 2021

I saw a flag; I dropped a tear.
When I thought of all the hurt and fear
That came to those who gave the most
On Flander’s Field and the Barbary Coast.
 
How sad to see the poppies grow
On Flander’s Field so long ago;
To represent our fallen brave
Who in their hearts success they crave.
 
Francis Scott there wrote that song
For 1812 their soldiers strong,
Who through the night saw soldiers fall,
But the mighty flag flew free and tall.
 
Through the mighty World War One,
Ferdinand and his death so strong,
Drew the forces to the fray
To fight again another day.
 
In World War Two, the weapons rang,
The tanks drove on as the warplanes sang.
Patriotic hearts drew close
And all determined to do their most.
 
With courage needed, they volunteer.
Their strength goes forth from year to year.
But some hold back because of fear.
I saw a flag; I dropped a tear.

No comments: