Monday, August 11, 2014

Psalm 119:55

The Word In The Night
Ronnie W. Wolfe


Have you ever had a bad night in which you have bad dreams or even nightmares? I have, and it takes a toll on a person's nerves sometimes and steals rest from the body.

Most of the time we are told to count sheep, but an old song tells us, and I think rightly so, that we should count our blessings.

"When I am lonely and I can't sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings."

Another great hymn tells us to "Count your many blessings, name them one by one."

We are to keep our minds upon the Lord and his word. The Lord's name is a precious name, and we are to remember his name, not for vain repetition or for religiosity, but for comfort  and assurance.

In John 16:23 we read,  And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

But then Acts 9:16 says this, For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.

Let us not forget God's law, let us think of it when we sit in our house, when we walk by the way, when we lie down, and when we rise up (Deut. 6:7). 

No comments: